Thursday, December 3, 2009

being fully present


As you can probably tell if you're reading my posts, I've been feeling better lately.  Maybe the increase in meds has helped.  I think part of my struggle with depression is due to the holidays.  I usually have an extremely hard time coping during the holidays.  Many people do.

I have also been sticking to my schedule of meditating every morning for 10-15 minutes before going to work.  That also seems to be helping to keep me balanced and focused.

One of the things I've come to realize about my pursuit of mindfulness, is that it's a full time job!!  You don't realize just how on auto-pilot we are a lot of the time until you direct your attention and focus to remaining mindful and aware of the moment you are currently experiencing.  For me, I'm fully aware maybe 10% of the time.

A great example is talking on the phone.  How many people actually sit down and focus their attention on nothing but the conversation on the phone?  Many are multi-tasking: driving, reading their mail, picking up around the house, shopping, watching TV, etc.


Here's a challenge for you.  The next time you are on the phone, try sitting still and putting your entire focus on the phone conversation.  If you find yourself becoming impatient or fidgety, examine why you are feeling that way.  Is it because you want to be doing something else?  Is it because you really aren't interested in the conversation?  Is it an obligation call?  Is this person not worthy of your full and complete attention?

When we do not give our complete attention to whatever we are doing and/or try to multi-task, we are not fully present.  Although multi-tasking would lend to the illusion that you are accomplishing a lot, you really aren't accomplishing anything.  Whatever you are doing cannot be done to the best of your ability because it doesn't have your full attention.  You are partially accomplishing.

Un-learning multi-tasking is very challenging.  Not multi-tasking and giving your full attention to the task at hand, is very rewarding.

No comments:

Post a Comment