Saturday, September 12, 2009

how many of you have heard of this new drug?

I found out on Friday that there is apparently this new medication that can effectively, and painlessly, help patients quit nicotine. In one week. Yes, you heard me correctly. In one week almost anyone will stop smoking or dipping tobacco/snuff.

"WHAT?!" you say? "YES!" I say, or at least, that's what my doctor said. I'm not a doctor and sometimes have a faulty memory, but I'll do the best I can to explain.

Our family doctor said there is a new drug that binds to the nerve receptors that receive the nicotine. The nicotine releases high levels of dopamine, which is that good 'ole natural pleasure drug our brains are programmed with. That is the physical addiction to nicotine. The only way you can maintain high levels of dopamine is to continuously take in nictone.

In addition to binding to the nerve receptors to prevent absorption of the nicotine, the drug also releases low levels of dopamine to simulate the release of dopamine taken in by the nicotine.

Since the nicotine is no longer being received by the nerve receptors, you actually become sickened by the intake of the nicotine because you are no longer receiving the dopamine "high" that way.

You are supposed to keep smoking or dipping and you will quit on your own within a week. A woman I work with tried this pill. She is my age and has been a heavy smoker most of her life. She had tried everything: hypnosis, acupuncture, other meds...and nothing worked. She got this and quit in one week. When she first told me about it, I kind of blew it off because I didn't realize something out there like that actually existed. I just thought they gave her a pill to help, but that it was her will power that truly allowed her to quit. She's a very strong woman so I gave it more to her will power than a magical pill. Guess I was wrong and she was right. Sorry!!

Do you understand what I am talking about here????

A DRUG THAT WILL ENABLE YOU TO QUIT ANY NICOTINE HABIT IN ONE WEEK!!

We all realize a great burden is placed on the medical community, society, families and the addicted individual when they develop cancer or some other nicotine-related disease. There is a high financial and emotional cost. Most people do not have insurance that will cover all the expenses. People suffer more because of inadequate health care and/or financial means to obtain such care.  Financially, we are all impacted in one way or another by this problem.  (Proving once again that we are all connected.)

Now I ask you the really important question.

Have you heard of this magical pill?  Am I the only one that was in the dark about it?  What surprises me, I guess, is that of all the drug commercials we see on TV (restless legs syndrome, depression, bipolar, heart disease, sexual dysfunction, diabetes...) why is not a single one of them for this pill?  How about all the coverage the media gave to the increase in nicotine tax and the government making such a big deal out of it?  Why didn't anyone, during that time, make the public aware of this drug?  It's not a new drug.  It has apparently been on the market now for at least a year or more.

Personally, I believe this pill, if it truly works the way they say it does, should be made available, free of charge, to anyone who wishes to kick the nicotine habit. 

My other important question.

Since the government sued tobacco companies, why aren't they as interested in making us aware of this miracle drug?

Conspiracy?  Drug companies, tobacco industry, lobbyist, our government....why?  What do you think?  Blog comments are now open and available to post your thoughts.  Have you heard of this drug?  If so, have you heard anyone personally speak of it and success rate?  Let me know if you haven't heard of it and what you think could be the reasons we haven't heard of it before now. 

Sources:
Dr. Bickerton, Orlando, FL
Chantix Information page from Drugs.com
Chantix Fact Sheet from Mayo Clinic

No comments:

Post a Comment