Monday, May 3, 2010

it's just life ...

I was watching the Rosie O'Donnell special where they had an ocean cruise that the liner was dedicated to serving gay/lesbian couples and families.  I've seen it before, yet I am always compelled to watch it again when I come across it.  I am always so impressed by the amount of love you see expressed by the couples to one another, but also to their children.  There is all this concern about the children being "made gay" because they have gay parents.  Yet their children all appear to be heterosexual.

We have so many things to worry about in this world and in each of our own personal lives, why do we get caught up in so much hatred, fear, and anger toward people who express themselves sexually differently than we do?  It was horrifying to watch a Christian group that boycotted them when they came off the ship by yelling hateful and hurtful things at them and their children.  How sad that people can pervert religion to that point.

Another thing it made me think.  Maybe there really are a lot more mentally ill people in the world than we realize.  They hide behind the fervor and disguise of religion or politics or any other position of power.  Something to think about.

On to another topic that has given me pause.  Has anyone else walked outside and stood in the sun lately?  I've never felt the rays of the sun so strongly on my skin before.  Maybe it's an aging thing.  I hope so, because other thoughts that creep into my mind are frightening.

I was watching a couple of shows in History channel.  One was about 2012 and the other on Nostradamos prophecies for the "end of times".  On one hand, it is exciting to consider the possibility that we could all be witness to an amazing, yet radical, change in humanity.  The increase in earthquakes.  Volcanoes spewing ash high into our atmosphere that is traveling around our globe.  Something we forget is the ash is on our side of the ozone layer.  Only some of it escapes and over a long period of time, relatively speaking in human terms. 

Now this disaster in the gulf.  You know, that place that Crist assured Floridians was safe to drill?  Yeah, that one.  It is so sickening to consider the loss of innocent wildlife, animals that will be wounded or die slow, painful deaths.  All because of our need for MORE OIL.  WHAT is wrong with us?  I refuse to watch TV or read the news online because I cannot take the bombardment of death, destruction, and chaos I see when I do look.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist.  I don't believe in doomsday prophecy.  I don't believe in Armageddon or "end times".  I do believe that we have almost exhausted our natural resources because of our own greed.  I do believe it is going to mean a massive shift in our attitudes and quickly, or things are going to get bumpy.

I can't help but feel little twinges of fear when I hear what is happening "out there".  However, I refuse to live each day in fear of what may come that day.  I can only deal with each moment as it comes.  Does that mean I do nothing?  No.  What it means is, I hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Time to pick up skills that came almost naturally for my grandparents.  Time to become frugal.  Time to make a Plan B.

It's kind of funny, and slightly worrisome if I think about it too much.  I remember back in the 70s when my Dad became convinced there was going to be a nuclear attack.  I remember him storing huge cans of mixed vegetables and other staples in our food closet in preparation.  He had cash stashed and kept his weapons clean and fully stocked.  He was a man prepared to defend his family.

Could what is happening now be, what my Dad feared finally coming closer to fruition?  Or is it what I've inherited from him?  You know, it's really hard for me to discern between the two.  Perhaps that should be frightening, but it isn't. 

It's just life.

No comments:

Post a Comment